Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Gotta Feeling...

I was down in the cities (Twin Cities) this weekend hanging out with my Mom for her birthday, and because I didn't have class or work on yesterday, she talked me into staying down for the day and hanging out with her at school!
She teaches Phy Ed for a small private Catholic school, grades K-6, and naturally I had to help her out with class. She's been vying for me to do this for awhile, and when she told me her idea for her lesson plan of the day, I was excited.
She had seen awhile ago on the Oprah show a particular dance sequence- done in Chicago on Michigan Avenue with over 9,000 people. The Black Eyed Peas were giving a concert with their song "I Gotta Feeling", and while singing (and without Oprah knowing this was going to happen) one girl in the front started dancing... and then some more joined her... and people kept adding until these 9,000 people were dancing one big choreographed dance. It's really cool to see- you can find the link here to the YouTube video of it, and it's worth it to take a look.
Anyway, my Mom saw this dance and asked me if I could teach a slightly easier, cut version of it to the kids- which of course I said yes to!It was a lot of fun! The kids got really into it, especially the younger ones. When they're 3rd grade and under dancing is still fun and everyone can do it- it's not just for pretty pink girls. The older kids I think were just happy that when they learned they were doing dance but there wasn't holding hands involved. :) I was surprised how fast the kids learned it- I taught the exact same dance to every grade level, and they all were able to do (with me leading in the front) the entire minute and thirty seconds or so that I pulled from the dance. Everyone was moving and having a good time, and I had lots of thanks and big, excited smiles from the kids at the end of class. It was such a success that my Mom wants to have the whole school dance it for an audience at some point (since the entire school now semi-knows the dance!), and I'll be happy to come back again next year to teach another dance class (hopefully one just as fun and 'cool' as this one was- hopefully!).
After all, who knew that dance could be so much fun? ;)
(PS- for those of you that are wondering, no, I didn't fix my mittens yet. I'm working on it, don't worry... they'll get done... before the Olympics...)