Monday, February 3, 2014

The Big Game

I was invited to a small Superbowl party this weekend, which for me was way more about hanging out with friends than watching any part of the game.  I was excited to see my fantastic but very busy friend Celeste, and we spent a good part of the game attempting to change the station to the "Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet when the actual game was on, and watching the Superbowl commercials while down about a pound of nachos.  
I have to admit, I've never been a fan of football.  I realize that it takes a lot of talent and hard work to be a top-level athlete in that sport, but it's hard for me to get excited watching it after I watch Alex Honnold solo the triple in Yosemite in 18 hours.  Yes, I'm totally biased towards climbing.  Yes, I realize they're completely different activities.  But for me, high-level climbers are taking far more risks than football players, and they don't make even a fraction of their salary.  Pretty sure Honnold still lives out of his van most of the time.  Football games feel slow and occasionally more like a theater than a true game.
Instead, I took the opportunity during actual game-time to cast on for a little hat for baby Ben!  
My friend Sarah had Ben 8 weeks early, but he's doing fantastic and growing fast!  I was originally supposed to have this hat finished for Christmas, but between Christmas gifts to finish (and the fact that I had already knit an armadillo for him just a few weeks prior) I didn't feel too bad that this particular knit is a teeny bit late.
Plus, it was the perfect knit for a game like this.  I wanted to be able to chat with Celeste and others while knitting, keep my eye on the commercials, and still keep my rows straight.
No wonder I knit so many hats a year.  Perfect portable projects are important for a busy knitter like me. Hopefully this one will knit up within the week, before the Olympics start and I have to focus solely on the Ravelympic projects.
Oh- I've decided what my project(s) will officially be!
Any guesses? ;)

No comments: