Tuesday, February 3, 2015

FO: Everlasting Gobstopper Mitts

They're blocked and finished and gifted to the right person- they're the Everlasting Gobstopper Mitts!

Pattern: Colorblock Handwarmers by Purl Soho
Yarn: Three Irish Girls made a little mini-skein pack called "Everlasting Gobstopper" that grabbed my attention immediately in the middle of a dark cold winter last year.
Needles: Bamboo DPN's, size 2 for the ribbing on the edge and size 3 for the body
Time: May 30, 2014 to January 31, 2015 (waaaaaay too long for such an easy knit!)

Size: Small/Medium
Made for: My roommate, Kim!
Mods: Instead of doing a regular quick color switch, I did a couple rows of gradient for a gradual switch.  Rows for the gradient go as such:
R1- K 2 w/color 1, K 1 w/color 2 to end of round 
R2- Alternate every other color per stitch 
R3- K 2 w/ color 2, K 1 w/color 1 to end of round 
I also changed the size up a teeny bit- I knit 3" of the first color before doing the gradient change to the second, 5 1/2" from the bottom before switching to the third color, 5 rounds of color 3 before knitting 8 in stockinette for the thumb opening, 3 rounds to close the thumb, then the gradient switch to color 4.  I knit an inch of just color four before doing the ribbing as written in the pattern.  I didn't want the handwarmers to be as long, and I'm happy with the finished effect!

Worst Part: Losing the motivation to finish them once I realized I wasn't a huge fan of how they were turning out.  I was already a full handwarmer in, so I figured that I could finish them at some point and give them to someone.  Luckily, I found someone!
Best Part: The colors!  I love TIG yarn, and these colors are so bright and cheerful, they make any gross winter day better!

No comments: