Monday, May 21, 2012

Nostalgia

Before opening the climbing gym this morning, I took a walk around Canal Park for sun and coffee.  The sun was beating down, my coffee was the perfect temperature, and my iPod was shuffling between some of my favorite songs.  As I crossed the street, "Helplessness Blues" by the Fleet Foxes came on, and immediately nostalgia washed over me for large domes, endless forests, and the sheer granite cliffs of Yosemite National Park.
My trip last summer was amazing, pushing me as a climber in every way that I wanted and in ways I didn't know would.  I love that listening to this one song brought back that flood of memories, and made me ache to move again, to discover new routes and climb above all the tourists to a place where you find yourself alone, 200 feet above your belayer.

I miss that feeling.  With the leaves exploding green around me, my soul and body are antsy to trek to new destinations or visit old friends.

This summer, I'm going to be going on a new adventure, this time bumbling around the state of Wyoming.  I'm curious what the soundtrack of that trip will be.

No comments: