Tuesday, May 8, 2012

FO: Follow the Yellow Brick Road

I need to keep better track of birthdays.  Recently, my old roommate and good friend Kate had her birthday, and I pulled together a quick present that I knew she would love.  She's a HUGE Wizard of Oz fan, and as a high school choir teacher I thought a pair of handwarmers for those chilly office days would be perfect- hence the "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" handwarmers!
Pattern: Simple Fingerless Gloves, available for free on Ravelry.
Yarn: The green was a fingering weight in Cascade, and the Yellow Brick Road was from Wildfoote Sock yarn from Brown Sheep.
Needles: I knit these on size 1, instead of the called-for size 0.

Mods: Well, the obvious one is adding a winding yellow brick road through one of the handwarmers.  The stitch pattern in the road was a seed stitch to imitate bricks, and I honestly just made it up as I went.  After both handwarmers were knit up, I embroidered the ruby red red slippers, witch hat, and broomstick to complete the look.
Time Frame: April 27-May 4, 2012.  SUPER FAST. ;)
Worst Part: Probably trying to figure out the Yellow Brick Road through the ribbing at the bottom.  
Best Part: Easy pattern that was simple to knit up quickly for a gift!

During a trip to the cities last weekend for my dance competition, I was able to stop by the celebration and drop off the handwarmers in-person, have a margarita, and get a little quality girl time in!

My girls did well at the comp, though it was run a little differently than we were used to.  It felt great to get home to Duluth after a busy weekend, and was greeted by this sign:
Awww... I think I kinda like that guy.

The cats are pretty okay too. ;)

No comments: