Friday, January 8, 2010

And to Think, Some Poor Bastard is Lying on a Beach in Hawaii...

I've been gone for a little over a week to Colorado with a couple of friends, doing some amazing fun things. We went ice climbing in Ouray, Colorado at the Ouray Ice Park, which boasts hundreds of ice climbs and mix climbs at varying degrees of difficulty. We did this for three full days, and then a fourth morning before driving off to Aspen/Snowmass for some amazing skiing. We skiied at Snowmass for two days of high altitude and hard skiing. The first day was on the part of the mountain called "The Big Burn", where it dropped 2,000 feet every time we rode up the lift and skiied down the mountain. Needless to say, my legs were pretty close to jello when they shut the lifts off that afternoon. We also got to the highest point, 12,500-ish feet at the top of the mountain where it was very windy and cold. I was really happy with my trip buddies- Tyler and his brother Matthew. They were easy-going, never complaining, and always pushing me to do my best, even when I was nervous about trying something.
All in all, the trip was an incredible success... until we started driving home.
More on that fiasco next post...