Sunday, January 12, 2014

FO: Below Zero Mittens

On Friday, I spent part of my morning finishing up my Below Zero mittens.  They turned out fantastic- great colors, fit me perfectly, and I was really excited to wear them starting that day since it finally warmed up to at least 20 above zero.
I left them on my coffee table to take a shower before I headed off for the day.
Ten minutes later, clean and ready for the day, I came out to find only one mitten on the table.
Oh, crap.
I found my kitten Maeby under the couch, nomming away at the thumb of my just-finished mitten.

She ate through at least an inch of the thumb, and I deftly reclaimed my mitten while cursing Maeby to the seventh layer of hell.  She didn't look like she felt one iota of remorse.
This afternoon I finally had time to perform a little surgery.

I picked off the bits of yarn she hadn't eaten and pulled back until I had all the live stitches lined up that were not chewed up or covered in kitten slobber.
It didn't take that long, and I finally have a great pair of mittens for warmer winter days!

Pattern: Striped Mittens According to Badegakk by Lena Gjerald (Ravelry link)
Yarn: The gray stripes are Three Irish Girls Adorn Sock in Dorian Gray, and the colored stripes are Noro Taiyo Sock yarn.  Knit on size one bamboo double point needles.

Timeframe: December 25th, 2013-January 12, 2014
Mods: Pattern called for only five rounds per stripe, and I did six rounds per stripe.  I really like the thicker stripes!

Worst Part: Bad yarn kitty moment.  Damn Maeby.
Best Part: Being happy with my awesome finished product, and especially happy that it's one I don't have to give away!  I might have to make more projects for myself... :)

2 comments:

The Jabba said...

Very Cute! These are in my Ravelry queue.

Sorry about the kitty incident. :(

Katie said...

It's more my fault- I know that I shouldn't leave out anything she can destroy... :)