Friday, May 27, 2011

Duluthian

I'm in the cities this weekend to hang out with my whole family for the Memorial Day weekend, and this morning I filled up my coffee mug and drove from Duluth to the Twin Cities area early in the morning. When down at my parent's house, I helped out with a few chores and cleaned my car out a bit.

These brief experiences brought to light how much of a Duluthian I have become.
You know you're from Duluth (or even northern MN for that matter)...
... when you get two hours south and the first thing you say is, "Wow, all the trees have leaves down here!" at the end of May...
... you think about changing the "winter" windshield wipers off your car, but hesitate because you know there's the occasional May snowstorm (or even hesitate at all)...
... You have three mostly broken ice scrapers in the back of your car- one you keep because the brush handle works, one you keep because the ice scraper still works, and one that hasn't worked at all for two winters but is still there "just in case"...
... you leave the jumper cables and avalanche shovel in the trunk because it's too much work to take them out and store for the three months of summer we have...
... your parents are in pants and sweatshirts doing yardwork, and you're comfortable in chacos, a t-shirt and cutoffs to help out...
... you're more surprised when the forecast includes high 70's and low 80's than 50's and 60's...
... and you don't pack a single pair of shorts for a Memorial Day weekend visit to your parents house.

Gotta love Minnesota. :)

No comments: