Saturday, January 26, 2013

Friday Night in the Gym

Now that my tendon has finally healed, I'm back to training 3 days a week in the climbing gym!

It feels so good to finally be back on the wall, climbing routes that require a little more fitness and grace than the 5.8's and 5.9's I've been stuck on while I slowly get my finger back in shape.  Scott and I climbed for about two hours, doing all lead climbing as I prepare for a possible Red River Gorge spring break trip.  We then went up to the bouldering cave (not my forte- I'm better at technical vertical stuff than overhanging burly stuff) and worked on the 45 degree overhanging wall for about 30 minutes.  I added a new training bit for the easy boulder problems- every time I moved up the wall one hold, I would completely cut my feet off the wall, swing out, and then bring my feet back in.  I burnt out about the third time up, and this morning my stomach muscles are really feeling it.
When my hands were starting to shake from exertion, we did pull-ups.

One of my favorite ways is "pyramids"- each person does one pullup, then each does two, and you go up to as many as you can do before going down again.  I only made it up to 3, while Scott made it up to 7 (showoff.  I can do more situps than him, though...).  My arms were absolutely sore when we were done, and I could barely tie my mukluks.
After that, we headed home for take-out chinese, some climbing videos, and hanging out.
Not a bad way to end a Friday night. :)

No comments: