Sunday, June 5, 2011

Projects, projects everywhere...

In between working as many hours at VE as I can (the more I can save for Yosemite, the better!) I've been trying to put a nice big dent in the knitting queue, completing some projects before I head out.
Cheryl and I hung out on Thursday to get some collective knitting done:
where I continued to work on my Vivian sweater, probably 1/3 of the way done with the hood. Woohoo! Some time on Friday plus a mostly-quiet twelve hour shift at VE yesterday allowed me to get farther on my Alice in Wonderland mittens for my advisor!
I want to have those finished if possible before I head out. I've been noticing that they're becoming more of a pain and less fun to knit as I go. I'm not sure if that's because I just want the project to be done, or that the pattern is hard fair isle with tons of stitches sometimes between colors.
Either way, I worked on it until I was sick of it yesterday before switching over to the autumn leaves wrap. I'm really growing to love love LOVE that project- it's a really fast knit, pretty mindless, and really pretty.
Completely the opposite of the mittens, and exactly what I needed at the end of a long day.
I'm really discovering exactly what kind of projects (at least right now) I enjoy the most. Cables are by far my favorite, and right now lace is taking a close lead over fair isle for my second favorite. I think a lot of it has to do with how much actual thought goes into the knitting- I like being able to talk to people, or watch movies, or be in the car when I knit. Only devoting partial attention to it. By the way, did you see what the yarn for the wrap was being held in?
A beautiful little yarn bowl!
I was lucky enough at the end of my visit to the cities to see two of my absolute favorite people:
the lovely and talented Larissa
and the witty and dashing Mark!
The bowl was my Christmas present from them that never quite made it to me because I haven't seen them in so long! It was great to have coffee and hang out with them again, and now whenever I knit I have a little reminder of them. It's been working great so far, hanging out next to my bed for quick access to my knitting, keeping the skein untangled as it feeds yarn through the little hole in the side! :)
On to another full day of work today. We can play the "what knitting should Katie bring to work today?" game! I know what I should bring- the Alice mittens. I'm actually to the point where I'm closing the top, and getting the first mitten out of the way would be fantastic. What do I want to bring?
Right now, anything but that. I'm mildly fair-isled out right now.
Hmmm... maybe Gus the Giraffe... :)

No comments: