Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Grandma's Marathon Weekend

Despite working a fair bit over this last weekend, I was still able to enjoy one of Duluth's biggest events- Grandma's Marathon!
The weather was pretty chilly for spectators, with on-and-off rain and drizzle with a mildly strong wind. Us Duluthians were used to it, but I saw a lot of people from all over the country cheering on loved ones that were wrapped in several layers of blankets, fleeces, even garbage bags to protect against the wind and rain.
As usual, there was plenty of silliness going on at the race site! This year, there was a "Bacon Station":
passing out pieces of bacon to the runners with tongs! They were set up a block down from my apartment, and all morning you could hear the sizzling of the grills. I got to hang out with a piece of rhubarb:
who was wandering around taking pictures with people (why? I have no idea!).
After watching the race, I spent much-needed quality time with two of my favorite people, Mark and Larissa! We had the necessary coffee and shared a caramel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (covered in white chocolate, peanut butter, and everything else that ladies like to share):
OM NOM! They also came down to the climbing gym at the end of one of my shifts, where I ended up cheering them on when they tried out climbing! It was just the sort of hang-out weekend that I needed with friends, and I'm hoping that I'll get at least a little more time with them before I head out to Yosemite in just over a week and a half!
I'm starting to make my lists as my trip approaches, and I'm getting almost a little nervous as the days count down. Today: cleaning out my room, running errands, working on my lists, and squeezing in a little climbing. It's another lovely Duluth summer day- 50 degrees, super windy, rain on and off- so outside stuff will have to wait. Good thing I have enough errands and chores that I can wait out these gross days. :)

No comments: