Monday, November 22, 2010

Knitting In Action: Comp Hat

A fellow climber and reader of my blog enjoyed the last post of Knitting in Action, and sent me some pictures of another of my knitted goods tearing it up.
There's a bit of a story behind this hat. While it looks like the most cookie-cutter, easy hat ever (and it was- just K2P2 ribbing for the brim and I followed the closing on the top for the Turn-a-Square hat by Jared Flood), I have to say that of all my knitted goods, this hat by far and out is getting the most use.
The guy wearing it- Justin- is one of those guys that never, ever, ever goes without a hat. Thus, last year, when the crocheted black hat his wife made him kicked the dust and completely unraveled, he commissioned me to make him a new one. 4 hours and some black Cascade 220 later, I had a super simple hat ready to go. Since I gave it to him, I see him at least 3-4 days a week in the climbing gym since he's not only a dedicated climber but the head route setter at our gym.
He has been wearing that hat every single time I see him, without fail. People have actually commented when they don't see him wearing it.
It's nice when you have someone that's so dedicated to a piece that people notice more when it's not being worn. Especially if that piece is something you made.
Simple, yet loved.
I like knitting. :)

(Above photos are Justin climbing around Duluth, bouldering at Sandstone, climbing at VE in Canal Park, and sport climbing in Southern Illinois)

No comments: