Thursday, September 4, 2014

FO: European Ombre (The Perfect Sweater!)

It's finally here- my post about my completed European Ombre cardigan!  I'm really excited that I finished this sweater, and not only is it done- it fits me perfectly!
Pattern: Ombre by Tanis Lavallee
Yarn: Sublime's Extra Fine Merino Lace (nom) in pink (0402) and white (0397).  I bought 3 skeins of each color, and probably could have gone without that third skein in the white for future reference. 
Timeframe: Started July 28th on my flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam.  Finished on the flight from Paris to Minneapolis on August 20th (with two hours to spare!).  Almost exactly 3 weeks to the day, and exactly the duration of my Europe trip!
Needles: Size 6, both on a circular and DPN's
MODS: I made the sleeves and the color changes for size XS (7 inches of each color), and the length measurement I left for size S since I like my cardigans a little on the long side. 
The pink panel on the bottom ended up being about 7.75” instead of 7”. I ended up having 7 buttons. 
Everything else was the same on the pattern!

Worst Part: There really wasn't anything I truly disliked.  The only thing I might do differently next time is get a really short circular needle for the arms instead of DPN's: those got cumbersome when trying to knit elbow-to-elbow with 3 people in the backseat of a small European car.  
Best Part: Having the perfect project for my vacation!  I was really nervous about taking only one project (despite the fact that it was a big project).  I thought that I would finish it early, or that I wouldn't work on it at all because it had lots of stockinette and it would get boring.  Luckily, there was just enough time on planes, trains, and automobiles to blast through the slightly boring sections.  And anytime it did get a little monotonous, I would be switching colors, or had to do decreases or increases or had to add buttonholes.  I don't overheat when I wear it.  The little white buttons are from a small knitting store in Denmark that I found when Heather and I were wandering around Aarhus drinking coffee, so part of my vacation is sewed right on.  And it's COLORFUL! :) 
I've never made a sweater with laceweight before, but this one may have converted me a little.
And I'm pretty sure I'm wearing this to school tomorrow. :)
Love!

4 comments:

Mark said...

"small European car"!?! That was a Peugeot station wagon, 'ginormous' by European standards. :-)

Mark said...

sweater looks great with arms on it (& in it)

nancy88 said...

Ooooo I love it! GREAT job!!!

Katie said...

Thanks, Nancy!! I'm really happy with how it ended up. And Dad- I was mostly worried about poking whoever had to sit next to me with one of the five needles I had going for the arms... :)