Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Weekend in the BWCAW

Dance started up again for me last week, and I feel like I haven't had a moment to relax since Monday last week.  Don't get me wrong, I love having a lot going on, but I'm still trying to find that balance between school, dance, grading, choreographing, keeping the house in order, climbing, and (occasionally) posting about it.  This week I'm finally starting to find my routine, which will hopefully allow me to stress a little less about getting everything done (and done well!).  :)
Adding to the craziness, last week was also "Birthday Week" for Scott as he turned the big 30 years old!  We ate out a couple of nights, and his big celebration was a weekend trip into the Boundary Waters!
We packed intermittently all week, and come Friday after work we left right away for up north to prep to go in early on Saturday morning.

The weather outlook wasn't amazing, but we took off in high spirits, determined to just enjoy ourselves- which we did!

We put in at Brule Lake and paddled over to South Temperance before we set up camp.  One of the nice things about doing a late-season trip (on a less than ideal weekend) is that we only saw one other canoe with two people the entire weekend.  We pretty much had the entire lake to ourselves!

The views were gorgeous, and I found that I really love South Temperance Lake.  It has a some really pretty waterways to paddle through!

The wind was pretty intense both days, blowing us all over the place both on and off the lake.  We layered up like crazy, and were exceedingly thankful that it didn't rain when we were making any of our meals.

At night, however, we did get a fun surprise.  It definitely rained on us, and in the middle of the night sometime, Scott woke up to snow coming down on the tent!  I was very happy for not only my super warm sleeping bag, but also the sleeping bag liner that added that little extra bit of warmth through a chilly night.
We paddled back on Sunday with the winds to our back, which made for some exciting wave riding on the large Brule Lake.  By the time we got back to the car and pulled the canoe off the water, we were exceedingly cold and excited to get a warm meal in us.

It was a great weekend in the Boundary Waters, though by the time we got home, unpacked, put some of our out gear to dry and cleaned the rest of it, it was time to jump right back into the work week!
I was able to pound out a couple of rows on the Onward Shawl on the drive up north, but nothing worth showing off.  I will have a lot more time for that coming up, but that's for another post.  For now- more choreographing, more grading, then off to dance!
No stopping now! :)

1 comment:

Mark said...

beautiful paddling photos.