Friday, August 2, 2013

Salty Cookies and Starting Again

One of my good friends invited me over to her house last night to watch the movie Les Miserables- the new one, with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.  She was going to provide the spaghetti, while I was to bring a tasty bit of dessert to snack on.
I didn't want to bring anything too heavy, so I decided on a simple chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Extra cookies meant I could bring some to VE and share with my coworkers today, as well as fill the cookie jar in our kitchen for snacking.

One thing this recipe called for was sprinkling the tops of the cookies with salt before putting them in the oven.  I was a little skeptical, but since I've enjoyed coffee mochas with salt sprinkled on top, I thought it wasn't a bad idea to try.
Why did I doubt it?!  It was delicious!  The salt countered the sugar SO WELL.

You'll notice that the bottom tier of cookies are a little more... well, round.  Actually, "blobs" would probably be the most correct term.  I realized while making the second batch that I should flatten the cookies down a bit to achieve that perfect "cookie" shape.  Next time, they will all be pretty as well as absolutely delicious. :)
Soooo remember that I was making a cowl for one of my Christmas presents?

This one, to be exact?  The one that looks like a small flag, with little to nothing interesting going on in the shape, the color, etc?
I didn't like it.  I didn't like it at all.  I kept going, thinking that it would look better once I got to the flat part.  Then I realized that it really wasn't going to get better, and I should just do something cooler with the yarn.  After all, if I didn't like it, how was the recipient possibly going to like it?
I frogged the whole thing after pouring a fresh cup of coffee, and had a quick chat with my friend online about her knitted-good preferences.
For some reason, I presented her with a bunch of fair isle hats to choose from and she picked one that bore her name in the pattern- "Heather's Broken Star Hat".  Luckily, I had a skein of black fingering weight sitting around waiting to be used, and started right away on the brim of the hat.

I always feel bad ripping out yet another project (coughcough::sparkle motion::coughcough) but it feels good to be knitting something that my friend wants, and I actually enjoy knitting.  I don't know how I suddenly got 3 fair isle things as my works-in-progress, with no lace or cables or anything simple.  I guess I like hard work?  Or maybe I know I'm bad at fair isle, so I'm utterly forcing myself to do it until I get better?  Either way, at least it's still the beginning of August- plenty of time to finish projects meant for Christmas presents.  Right?
PS- I'm over halfway up the left front panel of the Dude Sweater- and I have plans for that beast that may be a little crazy.  We'll have to see.

1 comment:

Mark said...

At one point I commented on not seeing enough "Read One" entries, but now you've not only got all 3 going well, but you've added food preparation too (IF you read the directions/recipes, it falls under the 'read' bucket)! I love it!