Sunday, May 19, 2013

Recovery and FO: Artist Mitts

Uffda- a lot has happened in the past few days, so if this gets a little long, bear with me!
I went in for my surgery on Friday morning bright and early, and as you can see below, I was very excited to get in and get it done!
While it took awhile to get checked in, dressed, through Pre-Op procedures, etc, the surgery itself only lasted about an hour, and the doc said everything went exceedingly well!  I woke up from anesthesia in the recovery room a little disoriented, but after checking my vitals and deciding that everything looked good, I was out of the hospital and home by 2 in the afternoon!  
The rest of Friday was a blur of naps and movies for me- I remember at one point in the evening putting in Wall-E, but I don't remember actually watching it... or even the end of it!  Yesterday was much better- the remnants of the anesthesia had worn off after a full night of sleep, and the pain was manageable with just ibuprofen.  Awhile ago, I had sewn together a heating pad using rice and a strip of purple fabric, and heating that up and putting it on my sore spot worked wonders.
I did a lot of reading, a lot of drinking tea, and more watching movies.  I'm about halfway through the second book in the Game of Thrones series, and I'm really enjoying it so far.  Great characters, well-developed world, and fast-paced action works well to keep my focus when it easily wanders.  It's one thing to write a brave, great character that everyone likes, but it's another thing to have a character- or in this case, several- that you completely, utterly, and absolutely abhor.  It's fun. :)   
I was lucky, since the weather seemed to know that I wasn't up for much more than that- 4 days of rain and fog, perfect stay-inside-to-recover weather!  
(It might finally be spring- see the buds on the trees?)
One nice thing about this down time was I finally able to finish a project that should have been done awhile ago.  This project knocks off my first Christmas knit for the year- huzzah! :)  Check out the Artist Mitts.
Pattern: Pomatomus Gloves, a free pattern by Tobi Beck (link to Ravelry page)
Yarn: Leftover Three Irish Girls Yarn Adorn Sock in the colorway "Kieran"
Needles: Size 1 bamboo
Timeframe: March 14-May 19, and it truthfully shouldn't have taken nearly that long- these guys knit up fast if you don't let them linger in drawers...
Mods: I did the same mods as last time- I made a "shorter" version by skipping the pattern repeat.  I also only picked up 3 stitches on the thumb instead of 5.
Worst Part: Knowing that this project were sitting in my knitting drawer, waiting while I graded and graded and danced and did everything but knit them.  Sad...
Best Part: Getting to knit this sweet pattern again, and use the beautiful TIG yarn!  Hard to beat it. :)  One of these days I'll make a pair for myself...
Today will be more R&R, and perhaps even a trip to the grocery store if I feel ambitious.  I'm starting to get a little tired of eating takeout for almost every meal. It's amazing how quickly we run out of... well, everything, when the guy of the house has to do the shopping... ;)  

No comments: