I was happily climbing hard on Friday, trying a 5.11c out on top rope before leading it, when halfway up the route something in my left hand twinged.
I finished the route, was lowered, and flexed my hand open and closed a few times. I knew instantly what was wrong- I had tweaked my tendon. It didn't swell up much, but there was enough residual pain that I knew it was more than just a one-day event.
For a climber, tweaking your tendon is one of those hard-to-avoid injuries. In order to fully recover, I'm going to take a solid 2-3 weeks off of climbing (ALL climbing) before doing a careful rehab, including free weights, rice workouts, and a specific climbing regiment once I get back on the wall. I've been going pretty hard for awhile now, so this is probably my body's way of telling me to give it a small break for a little bit. (Just from climbing- still running 3 days a week and teaching dance!)
Therefore, this weekend was filled with some much-needed knitting time.
I finished the mittens for my friend's Christmas gift, and they're drying on my radiator as we speak after a much-needed blocking.
My "finished" post with them will air once they dry and I have some time to grab pictures. Through this project, I've realized that I'm not very consistent at fair isle. This realization is kind of a bummer since it's a really cool knitting style that works well for gifts. I'll keep trying, but even in this project my second mitten was a lot looser than the first, and I had to do some stretching of the mitten to get them to be (mostly) the same size.
I also finally started the backgrounds to the snowflakes! Within an evening and a morning, snowflake number one went from this:
I LOVE it so far, but it's a pretty tedious project that requires full attention. Working with 7 needles requires a large amount of patience and picking up dropped stitches without losing it too much. The fragile Malabrigo lace has broken on me twice already, but I've resolved to stay completely Zen about it or I might lose my mind.
After all, I have 12 more to do. Then grafting them all together (somehow).
Perhaps the biggest problem is that having wine while trying to do this particular project is a bad idea...