Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blanket Thoughts

Yesterday I took time on my day off to pull out the gigantic tub of Tshirts for my Tshirt quilt and lay things out.  After sorting them, I realized I had a lot more than I originally planned, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to make at the very least two quilts, if not three.
My first quilt was all the old Tshirts and sweatshirts from High School and College, including softball teams, high school plays, Mock Trial, and Attitudes Dance from college.  I laid them all out on my living room floor and realized that my blanket will easily be four shirts by five shirts, and I'll probably add another row of five shirts for a total of 5x5 Tshirts, each measuring 14''x14''.
This quilt will be massive.  I've never made a quilt before, and I'm mostly worried about putting on the back and stitching the quilt down front to back.  I've been scouring the internet for instructions, and have a rough game plan for putting this all together (stay tuned for how it actually turns out).
I also have a ton of old Tshirts and sweatshirts from my closet as well as my parent's to make a separate quilt purely for vacation tshirts.  I didn't even try to lay that one out, because I know there are a few lingering shirts at my parent's house that I have to find to add to it.
Last but not least, I realized that the number of climbing-related shirts I own is ridiculous- enough to easily make a quilt at least 4x3 shirts!  I could easily make a smaller "climbing" quilt purely with Tshirts from climbing competitions I've been in or volunteered for, plus the odd "North Shore Climbers" shirt or two.  Who knew?  I suppose climbing has been a very large part of my life for the last 7 years or so.  I just didn't realize it was so much that I could make a quilt out of it...
For now, I washed some of the old shirts for the high school/college quilt, and I'll be getting a piece of plexiglass today cut to 14'' by 14'' to lay on the shirt area for the quilt to cut around.  Hopefully I'll find time this weekend to iron on interfacing and start sewing the strips together, then I'll worry about the backing...
 Plus, working on the blanket is a great break from unpacking, rearranging, cleaning, and laundering.  :)

2 comments:

Cole said...

I actually just made a quilt not too long ago using only camp shirts and used a vintage sheet for the backing. I did ties at every corner of the shirts through the top and bottom of the quilt to bind instead of quilting the whole thing...email me if you have any questions, since I've been through the process! Good luck! :)

SteveQ said...

12 shirts is a ridiculous number? I have over 500 shirts from races i've run. I thought about quilting some of them, but the variation in fabrics (some are threadbare) makes it tough... plus, I'd end up with a quilt that had sweatstains.