Friday, January 14, 2011

Snowflake Headband

After work today, I pulled out a box of buttons to finish up a belated Christmas present for my Mom.The thing about this particular box of buttons is that it comes from my Grandma's sewing kit I received when passed away a few years ago. All the different buttons and notions were ones collected by her over time, put away in a tin "Yale Smoking Tobacco" box. Some of the buttons, like the ones I picked out to go on this headband, still had remnants of thread from whatever clothing she snipped them from.It was the perfect final touch on a soft, pretty headband I knit for my Mom. She might even recognize the little blue buttons I picked from the box if they came from an old shirt of hers.

Knit up on size three needles, I used the Ropes and Ladders pattern from the book Knitting 24/7. Since my Mom is ridiculously sensitive to all wool (and boy do I mean all), I used Sublime's baby cashmere with merino silk 4 ply, which works well with the pattern because of the stretchy, squishy qualities of the yarn.
Best part: The yarn was easily one of my favorite parts- super soft, super squishy, utterly delightful to knit with. The pattern was also fast and easy, and looks great when finished.
Worst part: Picking up the stitches at the top of the headband- it was really hard to get the pattern to line up exactly, and it took a couple of tries to get it right.I have a feeling that giving it to my Mom- especially after she knows where the buttons came from- is going to be the real best part about this headband. :)

No comments: