Things were going... okay, in getting the sparkle motion hat done.
The yarn was driving me crazy right from the get go, but I was pretending that everything was ok.
Then, right as I was doing the cable part of the hat, I set it down on the table and took a cold, hard look at it.
I didn't like it. It was sparkly to the point of hurting my eyes, you couldn't see the pattern at all, and the yarn was scratchy and itchy. I took a giant gulp of coffee, and started re-winding the ball.
I figured that I would instead use the yarn to make a bunch of K1P1 headbands for a few of my younger cousins, since the yarn was stretchy and if the headbands were in the hair it would probably be okay.
I got to the brim of the hat, and instead of putting it back on the needles to have one finished headband I decided to pull it all the way back and start over. I don't know why. That was a dumb move.
I put the rewound yarn back in the ziplock bag, then started to cast on. Instead of smoothly coming out, the yarn became a gigantic ball of muck.
I tried for about five minutes to untangle it, then decided it was stupid and fruitless.
It was time to throw in the towel.
Guess I need to think up something else for my cousin. Bleh.